It is always a good idea to hire a Certified Arborist to look at the trees on a property before you buy it. If there are problemmatic trees, the inspection could make the difference between stopping or going through with a purchase.
Here are some things the arborist will be looking for:
- Are any of the trees dead, diseased, or dying?
- Are there areas in the tree or major branches that are hazardous?
- Are the trees too close to the house?
- If construction is planned after the sale goes through, how might it impact the trees?
- Are a tree's roots disturbing the foundation or driveway?
Image: This huge tulip tree near the home looked completely healthy from the ground. But when the homeowner casually mentioned the racoons he had seen in the tree, our arborist knew he had to climb up to find out why. Look what he found! Massive decay going deep into the trunk -- a great spot for a raccoon to raise its young -- told him the tree was dangerous and needed to be taken down.
A removal like this will cost thousands of dollars, likely changing the terms of a purchase. When there are trees on the property you're considering, get them inspected before you sign on the dotted line!